A Package Of Bees
My aunt took me up to get the bees today. It was a place up past Seattle and I wasn’t comfortable driving through the greater Seattle area, especially not during rush hour. We made it there and were admitted into C’s garage which had dozens of boxes and various other bee keeping equipments lying around. There were about two dozen bees flying around on their own. I have to say, I feel a lot better about bees inside then I do about them outside. They flew lazily around, distracted by the lights, and occasionally came over to inspect us but other than that didn’t bother us.
I got a nice healthy box of a Carniolan type bee. I’m not exactly sure what they are, but I know they have carniolan in them. The queen has a golden brown underbelly, like that of my old queen, but has a blackened top that isn’t as pretty. We drove home with them safely in the back and nothing went amiss!
Here are some pictures.
The slightly impossible task of shaking them all out. There were a lot more than I expected, so I pulled out one of the frames and shoved as many as I could down into the bottom of the box to make room. I had to do that two or three times because the mound was definitely too tall for the lid to fit on properly.
Here’s the queen. If my mom knew how to work the camera properly (and had a suit on) you would be able to see her a little better. I uncorked the thing (I’m not good with technical terms) and shoved in some marshmallow to keep her in place. You’re supposed to do this to give the bees time to get used to her scent and also so she isn’t lost or injured in the confusion of things. I put her at the bottom of the box, which is what you’re supposed to do, or so I’ve read.
The almost impossible task of shaking all the bees into the box. I had to take out a middle frame and push the bees down into the bottom of the box to make room for all of them. I didn’t realize three pounds of bees were so big.
I left the package container out so that any straggler bees can crawl into the hive box. Plus there was no way to get them all out of there. It was rediculous.
Before I put them in the hive I sprayed them with about 2:1 sugar:water. I didn’t wait long to put them in though because it was getting cold quickly and I’d rather have gotten most of them in before it got too cold them all of them after it was too cold to be working. After the majority of them were in the hive i sprayed them again to keep them from flying as much. I can’t wait for them to get their bearings. My main concern at the moment is that they eat the queen out successfully. I wasn’t sure how much marshmallow to shove in the hole.