So finally, after months and months of putting this off, I’ve finally decided it was time to post these pictures of my harvest from 2011. This was all done on September 19th.
A little bit of back ground info before we get started. I had no idea what I was doing, and didn’t have a spinner or any fancy equipment. I thought it would be easiest if I just scrapped all the comb off the frames and into some turkey pans, to let the wax and honey separate a bit, and so I could scoop up the honey and wax and put them in a strainer to strain out the wax.
When I first started we were really shocked by how dark the honey was. It’s almost black. I looked around online a bit and there are very few things that produce honey like this, and the only thing I’ve seen around here is buckwheat. There may be a few Tulip Tree’s I’m not aware of, which also produce this black honey.
to show you just how dark it is, here’s a picture of a pint of honey.
This was the only way to show the honey while it was still relatively see through. Its not a very good image, but I think it shows how thick the honey is, and its dark color.
I put foil in the bottoms of the turkey pans in the hopes this would make things easier when I put these in the oven to melt down the wax. I was wrong, of course, but this was a learning experience, so I don’t feel completely terrible about it.
Here’s the 12 pints of honey I collected. This wasn’t all of the honey I took out of the hive (there was still a few more pints in the wax) but I messed that process up a bit by putting the turkey pans in the oven, combining them, and then filtering that mixture into a glass bowl on a hot burner. Turns out you can’t put glass on a hot burner, cause that tends to cause it to shatter, and its contents to spill out all over the stove and catch fire on the still hot burner. You’d think people would tell me these things….