A Little Update
I figured, given that it’s been a while and that its snowing in the middle of March, I might as well give a short post on the bees. First I feel the need to talk about the fact that it’s snowing like crazy outside right now. It’s the giant blobs of snowflakes that look excellent coming down but don’t stick to the roads. The grass and plants and things are nicely blanketed though, so that’s nice.
Anyway, the bees have been relatively active I suppose. They come out about once a week if the weather’s nice, and they love the crocuses that have popped up all over our yard. I feel bad though, because a few weeks ago, when they first started venturing out of the hive, they were coming out of the gap between the metal roof and the inner cover I’d left to make sure air flow was good (I think part of the problem with my first batch of bees was the lack of airflow). I took the piece of rock I’d put between the inner cover and the metal roof out, but the wood had bowed over the winter so I had to place two bricks on the hive to keep the roof flat.
The first bees to venture out had oriented themselves to the top of the hive, so when they came out again a few days later they had a lot of trouble making it back into the hive. A fair number huddled up under the eve of the roof and died. I felt bad, but I didn’t want the bees to get themselves oriented as a top entrance hive. I just think it would make opening them up a lot harder, since all the returning bees would have no idea where to go and I’d end up with a cloud of bees bigger than usual hovering around me.
I haven’t opened them up yet, simply because they’re so mean I’m not interested in being unable to venture outside for weeks on end. I’ve talked to B, the man I bought bees from originally 3 years ago, and asked him if he had any queens for me to buy. I’d like to change this hive into a much nicer one as quickly as possible.
Anyway, that’s really all I’ve got for now. Until next time!