I went over to my aunts to put the roof and baseboard my cousin made on the hive. Those pieces are honestly as good a quality as the hive I paid $260. And it only cost them $50 in wood. That said, they used pine instead of cedar, which does change things. But still! That’s a cheap hive!
Anyway, the girls were all clustered in the top box. I didn’t remove any frames, but it didn’t look like they had drawn any wax out. The weather hasn’t been as good as it could be these last few days, and its supposed to be rainy for the rest of the week. Both of my hives have been fairly active, despite the weather, and my aunt’s hive has been pretty active too they say. Clover is popping up everywhere, so there’s going to be a big nectar flow underway any day now. If it was only a few degrees warmer. I’ll try and get pictures of the hive next time I’m over there, just for documentary purposes.
I got there too late in the day, and it was too cold, to do an inspection. So I’ll wait another week and see how they’re doing. They may have to be fed simply because of this weather.