Italian Bee Installation
I went bowling with my family today, and while we were there I got a call from the bee place. They said that my package was there and ready to be picked up, which I was completely surprised by. They never responded to that email I sent them, never got a check from me, and they aren’t even open on sunday’s according to their website. Anyway, I went to get pick up the package because I wanted some bees!
I got there and ended up buying a whole new suit (this time with elastic in the sleeves and cuffs of the pants) and got a new kind of veil (like what Emma and Emily have). My aunt has really taken to the idea of beekeeping, and there’s potential that her sons may need to help me at some point or other with whatever. So I now have a spare suit. I like this one much better than my old one though, so the old one may become the spare.
And I also got a fantastic new teapot for my unbirthday! And its great because it matches my mug.
After all the merchandise was paid for (which took a bit of work, since their computer wasn’t being very cooperative), we went to get the bees from outside. Oh, and not only was their computer not being friendly, they didn’t have an invoice for me at all. Which means I ended up buying Italian bees instead of Carniolans like I had ordered. But whatever, it’ll be interesting to see how differently these behave.
A quick car ride home and a couple of dousings of sugar water later, I was able to install the bees! I put them into White Hive, since that’s entirely unoccupied. I moved some frames around between boxes, and scraped off some of the moldier parts, and put the bees into a single deep box. I think I’ll scrape all of the wax off of the frames from the other box. Most of the frames are rather green and there are a fair few dead bees still stuck in the cells. But for now the bees are happily making themselves at home!
I’m not sure what to name the queen. She had a nice golden underbelly, but the top of her was much much darker. It reminded me very much so of a turtle. I’ll look around online and see what names I come across I think.
Oh, and before I forget; I looked through the drone brood from the chunk of wax I pulled out of Trunchen Hive. I couldn’t find any varroa mites in any of them at all. So I really think the issue was just that the queen became a drone layer, and not that there was a varroa infestation. There were a few bees (mostly drones) flying from Trunchen Hive, but not many. There was a little activity at the entrance, but the bees all seemed really sluggish, like they were probably too cold. I don’t expect them to last to next week.