Archive | October 2015

Fall Report

I’ve been so busy lately that my free time and the weather never seem to cooperate. The hive on the left has been noticeably less and less active as the days go by though, and today I finally got a chance to check on them. They had glued down everything with bur comb, so getting the lid off took some work, but once I opened it up there were almost no bees inside. I pulled out 5 frames in all, and everyone of them was half filled with capped larvae, though all of it was dead. What wasn’t occupied by capped larvae was either eggs or pollen. I got to the frame that had the most bees on it and there were a few dozen eggs, and even some developing larvae. I didn’t see the queen, even though there were only a few hundred bees in the entire hive, but the eggs were all uniform and at the bottom of the cells. I don’t understand why the colony failed so suddenly. There is plenty of food (I’m amazed at how much pollen there is) and the eggs seem viable. I did see many of the workers had varroa mites on them though, which was frustrating. I missed the window for a winter treatment so there’s not really much I can do. The hive weighed a little over 60lbs and had more than enough pollen to make it through the winter. If they didn’t have varroa mites I would probably just combine them with the swarm hive.

The captured swarm is doing phenomenal. The bees had not only glued down the inner roof but the telescoping cover as well. Everything is sealed with propolis and wax. After I got the lid off I was amazed to see every frame covered in bees. The hive weighs close to 90lbs and there were no signs of trouble. I’m very hopeful that they make it through the winter, and I’m going to be monitoring them closely. I plan on treating for varroa in the late winter/early spring. I haven’t extracted any of the honey I removed from the hive yet, and I’m thinking I may just add it back into the hive as they need it.

Advertisements