Today I decided to check on the hives I have at home. I checked in on the two nucs and was thrilled to find that nuc 1 (by Green Hive) has 2 frames of capped brood and a third frame of half capped brood with a bunch of eggs. The queen is plump and honey colored. Nuc 2 has 4 frames of eggs, but the queen is noticeably smaller than the queen in Nuc 1. She’s a coffee color with light golden hairs all over her body.
White Hive is packed with honey, but they don’t have a queen which makes no sense to me. They had dozens of queen cells, all of which hatched, so I don’t understand how they managed to end up without a queen. Workers have started laying and eggs were scatered throughout the hive, including in pollen cells. I closed the hive up and did some quick research. In the end I decided to swap White Hive and Green Hive on the stand and add a frame of fresh eggs from Green Hive. The idea is this will confuse the colony enough that the field bees returning to the wrong hives will correct the behavior of the laying workers. They should also attempt making a new queen with the eggs and that will indicate they’re ready to get a queen introduced. I’ll use the stronger of the two nucs for this.
The Trap out is doing really well! I checked in on them a couple days ago (and I’ll peak in on them tomorrow) and they have started rearing a queen. Pollen and honey are both coming in in abundance, so I’m interested to see how full the box is now. When I last saw them there were about 3,000 bees in there. I’ll do a more detailed post about that tomorrow!